But concerns over affordable provision waved away

The planning inspectorate has rejected Berkeley Homes’ appeal over its plans for the redevelopment of a shopping centre in Peckham.

Berkeley Homes proposed to demolish the Aylesham Centre to build 867 homes, including 77 affordable homes, alongside retail, leisure and commercial space.

dRMM Peckham 2

But the scheme provoked controversy locally, due to the height of the scheme, which would rise to up to 20 storeys in a largely low-rise suburb, as well as the relatively low number of proposed affordable homes. 

Plans drawn up by architect dRMM were submitted in July 2024, before being revised in December of that year to reduce the affordable component from the London Plan minimum of 35% to just 12%

Berkeley launched an appeal in May last year on the grounds of non-determination and an inquiry followed in the autumn.

Inspector Matthew Shrigley issued his decision yesterday (Monday), which dismissed the appeal and refused planning permission.

The main issues under consideration by the planning inspectorate were the height, scale and mass of the proposed development, the acceptability of retail floorspace loss in terms of its impact on the town centre, and the adequacy of the affordable housing provision.

On the latter two points, Shrigley found no significant issues with the scheme.

He said that the loss of retail space “would not harm the vitality and viability of the town centre” and that the scheme could actually “deliver a positive net effect” for the town centre.

On the scheme’s proposed 12% affordable housing by habitable rooms, he found that Berkeley’s “underlying viability position is material” and that there was “no harm from the reduced affordable housing provision“.

However, on the question of height, scale and massing, he determined that the scheme “would cause harm to nearby designated and non-deisngated heritage assets, as well as the local townscape”.

“The direct benefits arising from the development comparative to harm to the RLPCA including designated and non-designated asset harm and to the townscape give me insufficient reasons to allow the appeal,” he said.

Shrigely added that even with 35% affordable housing, he still would have found that “the level of harm in this case would not be overridden”.

In a statement, Southwark Council leader Sarah King said: “This is a great day for Peckham and we welcome the planning inspector’s decision to dismiss Berkeley Homes’ appeal for the Aylesham Centre.

“I’d like to personally thank the community who spoke loud and clearly about their concerns. 

“We shared those concerns and strongly argued at the public inquiry that the scheme was poorly designed and our position has been vindicated.

“We will read the appeal in detail and carefully consider our next steps.”

Berkeley has been contacted for comment.