The Construction Leadership Council reverts to the government’s ‘where possible’ distancing guidance
The government’s Construction Leadership Council has immediately backtracked after issuing guidance saying all construction sites must be closed if people cannot achieve proper social distancing.
Yesterday the Construction Leadership Council (CLC), which is made up of leading industry figures, told firms to shut down sites if people are unable to stay more than 2m apart – taking a tougher stance than the official government guidance.
Last week, the Cabinet Office and ministry of housing said the guidance should only be followed “where possible”.
But on Thursday the CLC released a new site operation procedure notice that went further.
It said: “[New guidance includes] clarification that, where it is not possible or safe for workers to distance themselves from each other by 2m, work should not be carried out.”
But a number of people questioned whether this is practical or not and the CLC quickly revised the guidance.
Now the original site operation procedure (SOP) notice has been reinstated
It says: “There will be situations where it is not possible or safe for workers to distance themselves from each other by 2m.”
The second SOP, which was in effect for just 24 hours, also said groups of workers should be kept together to minimise transfer of infection across the workforce and that sites need extra supplies of soap, 60%+ alcohol-based hand sanitiser and paper towels.
These changes have also been removed.