Employer: The Donkey Sanctuary
Location: Sidmouth, Devon
Closing date: 13 Feb 2022
Job position: Manager
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Job Function: Operations
EFM Operations Manager (Mechanical & Electrical)
The Donkey Sanctuary is an international animal welfare organisation, offering care and protection to donkeys and mules worldwide. We are working for a world where donkeys and mules live free from suffering, and their contribution to humanity is fully valued. We are achieving this by transforming the quality of life for donkeys, mules and people worldwide through greater understanding, collaboration and support, and by promoting lasting, mutually life-enhancing relationships.
These are exciting times for the charity, and we now have an outstanding opportunity for a highly professional and proactive individual to join our support teams as EFM Operations Manager (Mechanical & Electrical). Possessing extensive knowledge of the building industry, contracting and health and safety requirements and holding an IOSH Managing Safely qualification, you will work closely with the Estates and Facilities Management (EFM) Senior Management Team, and will provide leadership, coordination and day to day management of activities relating to planned and responsive Estates Maintenance, contributing towards the development and delivery of excellent EFM services to all Donkey Sanctuary owned and managed premises.
Working at a senior level, and requiring an organisation-wide, cross-functional strategic perspective on issues, challenges and opportunities, your principal duties within this varied and rewarding role will include –
- Providing leadership and line management for the Maintenance teams in order to deliver anticipated levels of performance and drive improvements within the service
- Acting as the Subject Matter Expert and responsible person for TDS Health & Safety performance standards for areas including water and electrical safety, workplace Illumination, compressed air systems & equipment, confined spaces, work equipment and alarms and detection systems
- Assisting the EFM Senior Management Team to manage, motivate, recruit, train and develop staff in line with the Charity’s strategic aims and objectives
- Ensuring that EFM services are planned, organised and delivered in support of the strategic direction of the Charity
- Ensuring that all premises occupied and managed by the Donkey Sanctuary are safe and compliant and meet relevant statutory requirements
- Delivering effective, efficient, and responsive planned, programmed and responsive maintenance services, utilising both in-house teams and specialist contractors, ensuring value for money, compliance and business continuity
- Preparing budget costings for maintenance works and repairs and renewals, and managing delegated budgets in order to achieve a balanced budget at year-end.
We need a very experienced, approved technician (including Inspection & Testing and current IEE 18th edition Wiring Regulations) and experience of electrical installation (single, 3-phase and domestic, IT networks, alarm systems, CCTV, etc.). We are also looking for experience of effectively managing staff and contractors, and of successfully planning, implementing, negotiating, managing and delivering projects, along with excellent communication, negotiation, problem-solving and IT skills and the ability to multi-task and prioritise working with a number conflicting demands. Previous experience of managing a budget and reporting on income and expenditure is desirable.
If you feel you have the qualifications, skills and experience to fulfil this multi-faceted and vital role, and would like to play a major role in driving the evolving programme of change taking place within the charity, we would love to hear from you. Based in Sidmouth, Devon – an area of outstanding natural beauty – this is a full-time, permanent contract starting as soon as possible, working 37.5 hours per week – 08.00-16.30, Monday-Friday. Working principally from home, flexibility will be required for on-site working in order to meet the demands of the role.
Closing date for completed applications: Sunday 13 February 2022.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the advertised date, and would therefore encourage early applications.
For more information about this role, including application instructions, please copy and paste the following link into your web browser:
The Donkey Sanctuary is a Disability Confident Employer.
The Donkey Sanctuary is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people (children and adults), and expects all staff and volunteers to undertake this commitment. Applicants will be subject to safer recruitment processes, including an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check where required for the post.